Saturday, December 19, 2009

Delta, Continental and the Scot

Widgets at MSP. Strange not seeing NWA there anymore.
  Scotland. Awesome place. Particularly Stirling University, where I spent some time at during my years in the UK. Anyways, a good friend of mine who originally hails from Glasgow and now calls Miami his home left his line of work recently which he's been doing for the last fifteen years. Yesterday he sent me photos of his last day on the job, and I think for the first time in our many years of friendship, I could see some sadness on him about leaving the part of our bureaucracy he dedicated most of his working life to.


My Glaswegian bud Rob always has a permanent smile on his face and an infectious sense of humor. In fact, a picture I always have in my mind of him happened in the middle of a pretty serious military exercise back in the day when we were in Europe together. We were on a patrol heading to an objective and got pinned down by the bad guys in some pretty thick forest. Half of our six-man team stayed in place returning fire to the bad guys, and me, Rob and another team member went out to flank the bad guys while they were busy taking care of the head-on fire.


So I look over to my left just as I was about to radio our guys behind to cease fire before we moved up to cut the the unsuspecting bad guys down (all of us heavily camo'd up down to our faces and exposed skin), and all I see a few meters down from me is this set of teeth smiling at me. Rob's face paint and foliage he put on his gear had him perfectly blended in with the surrounding brush so well that all I saw was the smile on his face and his eyes and nothing else. It was such a hilarious sight that I had to laugh out loud for a second, but it didn't matter. The noise was so loud from the weapons fire that nobody could hear me. Much to the incredulousness of our other team member wondering what the hell could be so funny at this moment, we moved on, took care of the situation then moved on to our objective without any hitches.


A few years later after that, Rob saw the light and moved on from fighting bad guys on the ground to the financial aspect of our business, and it's worked out well for him.

While thinking about those good times running through the forests somewhere in East Anglia, I spotted this piece on line by another Scot with a great sense of humor - Craig Ferguson, and his contribution to marketing for Delta Airlines.

Cheers to the Scots. Aye.

Saturday

~