Friday, April 16, 2010

Plans

   Went and saw 'Date Night' with Mrs Lenman on Wednesday. It was ok - a chick flick/date flick - but man, I can't wait for "Iron Man 2' and 'The A-Team' to come out!

Had to take a week off from the job. It's done me wonders just being away from the bureaucracy for just this much time.

Movies. The reason I ended up taking the better half to the movie was because a friend at work and his wife dropped off a card for me at the begining of the week and it had a Visa gift card in it. The card thanked me for doing what I was doing for everyone in my organization (and them), and that I need to put the card to use by taking ML out on a date. And they even offered to babysit our son! In the years I've been where I'm at, I've received Starbucks cards and thank you cards, but that Visa gift card was a first - not to mention offering to babysit. How nice, eh? That gift card got us tickets to the movie, and a very nice late lunch (we saw a matinee). I definitely will have a card for them thanking them for an afternoon on their dime.

Planning now for my future. When all is said and done with this chapter of my working life in a few years, I'll have been in uniformed service to our country for over thirty years. Thirty years. Unbelieveable. It's went by fast. But as much as I want to say I feel young for the most part - and thankfully still look young, there are things that can't help but happen to a human body over time, and I realize more often than not, that there are things I could do as a younger high-speed guy that just don't seem as easy to pull off anymore. I've gotten wiser and smarter (I think) with age of course, but hell - what in the world is up with me making these old man noises when I get in and out of my truck nowadays? And just because it's raining and forty degrees outside - not wanting to go out for a run? Sheesh!

And with that, I know I have to bring the throttle back just a bit. I can still run and shoot, but as far as jumping - my days of that are practically done. The kids in the unit - well, it's their show now, and my job is to just make sure they're able to do it by being properly equipped and trained to do the mission. My time of being veteran in a young man's career field has just about run its course. The only options I have anymore in this career are to keep working behind a desk. Riiight. That's the reason I'm taking off this week in the first place. Too much time in management and bureaucracy that peaked my BS meter. When I get back to work next week, I'm vowing to keep my ass out of the office and from behind the computer as much as possible. ...and at the end of the day retreat to the serenity of Casa Lenman on the golf course with a cold one.

Time to move on when it comes.

Saturday

~