Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kauai

  An opportunity to go to 'The Garden Isle' for the first time appeared and we had a great time. Staying in Poipu and encountering a very laid back and uncrowded lifestyle appeals very greatly to me. In fact, if I could swing it, I'd like to retire there. I remember one of the executives at my last location saying he has a time share in Poipu and that he spends time there with his family at least twice a year. "It's all chickens crossing the road, slippers and board shorts for us," he said. I got the slippers and board shorts, but chickens? Well, at the airport after we landed and waiting for the rental car bus to take us to the cars, a rooster appeared out of nowhere and decided to cross the street in front of us. And after we got to our time share, they were everywhere! So now I know what he was talking about.

With reality in the way, it looks like I'll at least be able to retire on Oahu for now when this part of my career is done. The trick is to ensure my second career following this gig will be able to allow us to sustain a decent lifestyle here on the island, otherwise it's back to Washington state and back to my previous employer. Now I love the Pacific Northwest and the Puget Sound in particular, but the weather - well, I could do without the constant rain and cold anymore. I'm done with that kind of climate.

Interestingly, I have a work opportunity to go back to Seattle in a few weeks and it'd be good to see my old work crew and how things are going up there. I'm sure when the trip is coming towards an end that I'll be ready for the sun and the liveable climate again!


Saturday

~