Sunday, July 7, 2013

Making it Happen

Molokai across the Ka'iwi channel.  
  So now that I'm over the mid point of our stay on the island, things are starting to finally roll on the work front. Yes - finally. I've basically been in limbo for those two years, and have ingratiated myself on the regional boss's staff by living up to my self-appointed motto of being a 'jack of all trades and master of none.'

When I arrived, there was a logistical 'hiccup' that wasn't brought to my attention when I accepted this position from the mainland. With that logistical hiccup comes a myriad of other logistical issues and it's pretty much a big show to get the operation launched even with things in place. So when I showed up and the bomb was dropped on the one small issue that leads to other issues, I was beside myself. I was more than a little disappointed because I literally could not do my job until that logistical issue was taken care of. But - things being as they were and me being hired for my years of experience and success at my previous organization, I knew I had no choice but to start from scratch and get things going. After two years and many stand up paddle/surf sessions at lunch to relieve my frustration at this whole scenario, I'm finally getting towards my goal of 'planting the flag.'

My situation is this; a corporate organization is putting up an operation in a place where it's never operated before (at least in my line of work), and the folks at corporate are indifferent to the obstacles put up in front of me. As insane as it sounds, they do want me to succeed; it's just that they don't see what I'm up against on a day to day basis other than what I communicate to them (and I do a lot), and on the two visits I coaxed them to come out and see me (so I could show them what I'm talking about in e-mails) in 2011 and 2012. Each of those visits they concurred it was not an easy situation I'm in to fix, and that they'd do what they can to help me out. But once they've gone back to the east coast? Out of sight, out of mind. It's not their fault - they're six time zones and nearly six thousand miles away and most of those at corporate are made up of people who have never done what I'm doing. Plus, they've got a million other fires they're trying to put out on a daily basis watching over our nation-wide operation. Maybe I'm being too nice when I say they try to help where they can; I would just like to see more boost behind what they can do for me. All that said, I do like the autonomy I have running this op and I don't want them in my business all the time, every day. Make any sense? In the end, there's a lot riding here but I'm not worried. I'm proud of what I can do here. If I succeed, this will set the standard for setting up operations in other places outside of the contiguous United States.

I am making it happen and just a little disappointed that I'm over two years behind schedule. Some of the motivation that came with me from the PNW has faded a little bit over the last two years, but not by much. I know I still have it, and as the weeks go by, I know I'll be full throttle making even more good things happen.

Sometimes I still can't believe I'm here doing what I'm doing. Looking at the picture I took yesterday of the Kaiwi (Molokai) Channel, I am here. ...making it happen.

Saturday

~