I sent the below text and picture out last week in an e-mail blast to my co-workers and cc'd my boss (but with everyone's e-mail address in the BCC block) and his deputies on it. I had to modify some words because I don't want to give away exactly what I do Monday through Friday, but it reads pretty much the same as the original.
"Over the years at my last place of employment, I added things to the back of the name plate on my desk to remind me why I should be doing what I was doing. My job description often didn't mirror many of the tasks that I was doing on a daily basis, but doing them got the job done in the big picture. So when someone walked by and saw me staring at the back of my name plate (which was often), I was looking at these. ...and maybe wondering if I had to go the supermarket after work and re-stock my fridge.
Since I haven't had my own office and desk in over two years until last week when we started moving into our own building, I completely forgot about these until I put my nameplate on my 'new' desk. (It's in an old facility with used furniture, but it's a new desk to me.)
So - some quotes to remember when you get frustrated in your job there;
'THIS IS WHAT YOU GET PAID TO DO' means everything falling from the sky onto your plate that needs to get done for the firm (within reason - you shouldn't be doing some other slug's job because they are not holding up their end. In that case, walk over to that person's locale and talk to them face to face about it.) Don't focus too much on your job description because it ain't happening anymore in our 'do more with less' job force. If you don't like the job, you can always find something else to do. Otherwise, suck it up. ...or retire if you have that option. :)
'WORK SHOULD BE LOOKED UPON, NOT AS A... ' (see picture for complete text). This is always good to remember, and can even be used in the context of a famous Air Force recruiting slogan from way back when that said, "AIR FORCE. A GREAT WAY OF LIFE." Not that anyone is in the Air Force here, but the point is that our job provides a great way of life.
'THE INABILITY TO ADAPT BRINGS DESTRUCTION.' Quote from Bruce Lee. Enough said.
Have a great day."
And with that, I think I let everyone pretty much know that I have no shame anymore in putting out my thoughts on anything.
There's no shame in blogland... unless someone you know reads it. :-)
ReplyDeleteActually, my husband was in the Air Force. I'm afraid he didn't get to hear that slogan, but he did enjoy that way of life for quite a while.
Ha ha! Yes - I don't even think my wife reads this blog (yet). Maybe because there's no 'like' button for any of my posts.
ReplyDeleteGreat for Art to have been an Airman!
He didn't actually fly jets. True that he did fly gliders for a time. He was an engineer doing spy satellites before somebody wrote a book about the whole thing.
ReplyDelete