Music is a big part of my life. I recently told our son that I always associate songs with periods of time in my life and that without fail, it is never just a song by itself in my 'mind's eye (and ear).' For instance, everytime I hear The Carpenters' song 'Close to You,' I always think of my childhood and fishing with my dad at our favorite spot - right down to the time of day. That's because my dad would have his am portable radio on in the background every time we were out there, and the song was played so often during that period of time.
My favorite period of time in music though was the 80s. Boldly, I say the 'British Invasion' of the early through late part of that decade was one of the best things that happened in the history of music because of the variety of artists and style of music (I mean real music, not the uncreative garbage of today's pop culture), and the influence it still has today nearly thirty years later. I think it's great that our daughter who is just out of college years and our son who is still in his school years both enjoy songs from that period of time. When our boy thinks that U2's 'Pride and Simple Minds' 'Don't You Forget About Me' are great songs and knows the lyrics by heart, that's pretty cool in my book.