Our Boy has been fascinated with Lego since he was a toddler and makes them an immediate project. Now just before his teen years, he's become pretty damn good at saving up money and building kits over 1,000 pieces in a few days between school and after school activities with band and martial arts. Reminds me of a time when I was his age where I would build and paint scale models - mainly airplanes - and move on to the next one when I could afford to buy one.
I look at the things that kids do these days and are influenced by and try to keep OB on track as much as a parent can. Tomorrow we're headed out to complete an educational space-related project that we couldn't finish last week due to time and scheduling conflicts, so I'm looking forward to that.
OB says he wants to go the Air Force Academy and wants to fly heavies. Of course, I'm keeping him aware of realistic goals because sometimes you don't get to choose the aircraft you fly based on abilities and the needs of the AF, and that an academy appointment takes some legwork to get to being nominated. Still, I'd be happy to see him do something he looks forward to and enjoys even if it doesn't come down to attending the academy or flying but at the same time working him towards his goal.
Our Daughter and OB's doting older sister is in the Air Force also, and hoping to get an OTS slot as soon as she completes her bachelor's degree. OD was an interesting story for a while there and I'm happy to see she found her calling. I do remember her clearly telling me in her freshman year of college that she would never join the military after she texted me a picture of a small tattoo she got put on the back of her neck. Her response of never joining the military was after I responded with, 'WTH? What if you decide that you want to join the military - you'll have to get that taken off!' , but in a nicer and tactful way. Just before her two years of college and deciding to take a break, she decided that joining the Air Force would be a good thing to do. Long story short, I'm proud of her and happy to see she's excelled at her current assignment and has goals to make the AF a career - her project so to speak.
Speaking of projects, today looks like a great day to do some yard work. I was going to golf, but after last week's debacle where I couldn't seem to figure out why on four out of five tees I topped the ball, figure I need to take a break. It was ironic because the week before I was at the same golf course and had a fantastic game and couldn't seem to go wrong out of the tee box and on the fairway and greens. Last week you'd have thought that I never golfed before. (!) As my father in law said, '...sometimes you have good days and sometimes you have bad days. That's just the way it is out there.' He's right. That's why the yard work project seems good to get into today...