Sunday, September 1, 2024

Horology

   At first, the word sounds like it could refer to fear or something scary. But what it really means is the study of watches. I guess that's me then; a horology enthusiast. 

Over the years, I discovered communities that exist out there completely dedicated to watch nerd-ery from the most basic and casual to the most serious collectors with monetized social media, and even collectors who have previous lives in three-letter-agencies where watches have a fraternal bond and meaning. 

Fourteen years ago (wow) in this post I shared my excitement of receiving a Casio GW-7900B Sport solar watch. I still use that watch today and it's proven to be a tough and durable timekeeper, tide watcher and waterproof tool watch that fits into my life at work or play. When we lived in Hawaii, I always had it on when I surfed or SUPd during my lunch break, mainly because I had to know when to get back to work.

Another watch I use regularly is a Seiko Prospex Landmaster Kinetic Watch, model number 5M85-0AE0. I bought it a few years ago when the price was reasonable, but now I see it selling on line for almost $450, which is way more than I originally paid for and was interesting to find out. If you're not used to having a kinetic watch, the downside is that you have to charge it regularly because it gets its power from movement. If I'm not wearing it, I have a watch winder that I place it on when not in use. It rotates the watch on a regular basis so that the oscillator inside moves and charges the internal battery to keep it powered. This watch I wear when I'm at work in business casual wear or out and about in public.

I find it interesting and fascinating that watches today have features and uses that some people would think are beyond what's needed; GPS, Tide Tracking, Altimeter, Barometer... you name it, it's out there. 

For me, the basic necessary function I need in a watch is to have ease in observing the current time and date. If I'm traveling, the time and date should be easily adjustable or have a dual-time (world time) to match the location I'm at. It should also be able to be seen in the dark by having lumination on the numbers or a backlight to see the hour and minute hands. It should be waterproof, and finally, it needs to look good. 

I don't consider myself a watch snob, but I do like watches of a brand that has history and are proven. Four brands have been regulars in my watch-buying years; Citizen, Luminox, Casio and Seiko. These are brands within reach of my budget and feature watches that do the job I need. In a future post, I'll do a review of another watch I own. ~

Saturday

~