Sunday, September 22, 2024

The Never Ending Battle

OB teeing off on our home course. Watered regularly. 
  There was a great Par 3 executive golf course that I used to go to until it closed a few years ago. It was a favorite because it wasn't too far of a drive but also because it was never crowded. There were days I'd go out there and play two rounds back to back without seeing anyone. A perfect golf course - especially if you wanted to work on everything under the sun to fix on your golf game. 

A drive range was located next to the course and OB and I would go out there to practice before playing a round. There was also a set of batting cages next to the drive range, which was always busy with customers.

Unfortunately, the owner couldn't secure the water rights to the property, as he had purchased it originally several years before without doing so, and relied on city water. I don't know the exact technicalities, but the bottom line was that the golf course was not going to be watered anymore the way the owner had been doing and it was enough for him to sacrifice the golf course and revert to dedicating improving the drive range. I haven't been there for a while, but OB and his friends went out there and said the drive range is now run under a 'Top Golf' styled theme. I'll have to check it out. 

Golf is a never-ending battle for me. The battle being that I will always be struggling to be a good consistent player until - as I see it - I retire from this chapter of a career and be able to golf like the regulars I see on the fairway leading up to my backyard. These guys and gals have their own golf carts and play the afternoons or evenings and is something I would really hope to do when I retire. It's fascinating to me that my dad and uncle were single-digit handicap golfers, yet they had their jobs and families to tend to and they didn't miss a beat in having tending to their responsibilities. Guess I missed the talent boat on that one, but I will still get out there when I can. It's good exercise and therapeutic to be out in fresh air and green trees. ~

Saturday

~