Sunday, June 1, 2025

Air Force

 The Army has a website dedicated to the mantra 'Soldier for Life' and I like it. Much like the Marines, it espouses that as a member of the US Army, one is considered a soldier first (and for life). The Marines - they say one is a Marine and rifleman first, and their military occupational specialty comes second to that. 

In my years in the Air Force, the history aspect has always been vague and generalized - if even existent in day-to-day culture.

The emphasis on service history was never significant in the knowledge of being an Airman unless you're in a professional military education environment and that knowledge is required to pass a test. 
I've always said that the Air Force is focused on Air Force Specialty Codes first as an identity, rather than being an Airman first. Everyone is just too damn busy in their own jobs doing more with less (except for back in the 80s) to learn about why we are here in the first place. 
That said, I know there are people out there who do know milestones of Air Force history because I've talked and worked with them, but that's far and few between. Unfortunately, you won't see a website on 'Airman for Life' out there because it's not a thing. But it should be. ~ 

Saturday

~