Sunday, November 30, 2025

Suga Stairs

 The hit anime 'Your Name' spawned an unexpected tourist attraction that I didn't even know existed until all of us were heading out after breakfast at the hotel and driving out of the parking garage to Yokohama. OB mentioned that the Suga Shrine Stairs was nearby and that it'd be a place we could go to on the way to the Landmark Tower and World Porters. After he explained it was in the movie (which me, ML and OB saw together when it came out), I realized I'd seen the comparison of an anime screenshot and an actual photo before on the internet a few years ago. So my hanai cousin who was driving that day said 'let's go!' Good thing he had a car that could fit in the small alleyways of Tokyo's sides streets because the Tundra he had back in Hawaii sure wouldn't have fit.

GPS worked great and got us there via Tokyo's elevated highways and into the neighborhood street in just 15 minutes. We got there just in time before the crowds and even had plenty of parking availability in the shrine parking lot, which was just a short walk to the stairs.

Now, some folks might think it's weird to just see a set of stairs leading to a street, but for the otaku out there, it's like a treasure hunt. I'll admit, I didn't object to OB wanting to see it and take time out of our already tight schedule, and neither did any of us in the car so the curiosity got the best of us.

We went to the shrine before going to the stairs and it was interesting to see and read about the significance of it before walking over. 

A nice detour to get the tourist day started! ~
 

Saturday

~