ML, OB and I stopped by the Korean market after dinner one evening. Picked up what we went there for, then walked through the fish section before heading to the cashier line. And then... Woe! Whazis? 'Hawaiian Poke Kit?' What?
In my household, you make poke with ingredients you buy separately, but not having made poke in a long while since returning to the mainland, I thought 'no can hurt, right?' It's reasonably priced, so I picked up a box.
When I got home and thawed it out per instructions, I mixed the accompanying packet of shoyu, sesame seeds, chili water, sesame oil, chili flakes and ogo with the ahi and wow! Broke da mout! Reminded me of poke that my folks used to keep in the fridge at their Ewa Beach house. Old school and ono!
I couldn't believe I didn't know this 'kit' existed. And now I know where to buy them.
