Monday, March 18, 2019

Sunday

 I went to see 'Captain Marvel' with ML and OB yesterday. No spoilers in this post, so don't worry.

I read a critic's review a few days ago and chuckled because there was humor in it, but he totally bashed the movie. Well, in the end I always have to go see things for myself, and I was looking forward to it because - well, Air Force! One thing about movie critics in the press; it's their opinion and that's it. I ask myself, 'what kind of car do these critics drive, or what kind of beer do they drink or food do they eat?' I could find out they don't like beer or Asian food and drive a vehicle make that I don't like and then it's a credibility issue with me. They could give me their opinion all day long, but they're simply just telling me what they like or don't like. Hell - I'm doing that in this blog. It doesn't mean it's relevant to you or whoever. I guess if you have to make a living doing it, you have to do what you have to do. Kind of like the main stream media, but that's for another post.

I thought the movie was good, but I was wondering what happened to all the Air Force that was supposed to be in the film? Nice brief shots at some real AF installations and story line (AF Academy obstacle course) and interesting that the MAJCOM patch that Capt Danvers wears on her flight suit is from Air Force Systems Command (which no longer exists; inactivated in 1992 - movie takes place in mid '90s), but with all the pre-movie press about how the Air Force was involved, I expected more in that context. The movie  'Aloha' did alright in putting the Air Force and Hickam in the story line even though it seemed somewhat goofy at times (Emma Stone flying a private aircraft in uniform to the north shore?), but somehow the Air Force can never seem to get right like other movies where soldiers, sailors and Marines are featured. (Take your pick on those type of movies.) If one day I ever get to finishing the book in my head that shows the capability of Airmen, weapons systems and the Air Force way of life - and it somehow gets picked up to be a movie, I would do what I feel is right and keep accuracy and realism foremost.

Bah - oh well. The bottom line for me on this movie is that it was good entertainment, had some good tunes that I even downloaded afterwards, and was a good way to start the long day of errands since we went to the 0850 showing at the theater we usually go to. They have recliners, unlimited butter and salt for your popcorn, and you have to make reservations to get a seat. Can't beat all that for breakfast.

Saturday

~