Monday, April 1, 2019

Monday

Relaxing near the reef runway after a good SUP session
A while back, I mentioned I'd post pictures of life on Oahu. Yeah - I fell short of that goal, but I'm starting now with this post. So I'm thinking even though the content might be about something in particular, the pictures may not - as what you see here.

With OB on spring break, he's currently enrolled in a lifeguard course so that he can work this summer doing something related to what he likes to do; swim. One of the really interesting things ML and I saw was on day one of the course when we decided to sit in and see what it was about. And also that ML used to be a lifeguard and wanted to see how things have changed. In fact, I met her when she was working as a lifeguard but that's another story. Anyway, there were ten kids including OB and all were in high school. OB seemed to be the only freshman out of the group because he wasn't the biggest out of the guys, and there were three girls. The instructor gave them a briefing on course expectations and requirements, and when she was done had them break into three groups and into the pool. They had to start by swimming 500 yards in varying strokes, but what we saw next was unexpected. OB took off and was the only one swimming properly and with confidence. None of the others appeared to know how to swim. One kid even quit after only half of a lap. WTH?

I could feel ML's elbow nudging mine in our seats as we watched everyone. How do you want to become a lifeguard and not know how to swim? The instructor came over to ML and I noticing that we were OB's parents and that he was obviously an experienced swimmer. She said the culture of today's youth is different than years ago when people at least took the time to learn how to swim. These days, some kids showing up have rarely been in a pool or lake. This was interesting since ML and I were at OB's swim meets during the season this year, and when he was an alternate on the HS team that went to state finals, the culture sure seemed alive and strong to me. But I get what she was saying. These days kids are more interested in playing games online then going to a swimming pool. For whatever reason the kids in this class were doing it for, they were here.

By the time we left two hours later, ML, OB and I decided that the best thing that OB could do was to simply maintain focus on getting certified and to help others in the class as much as possible. If this is how it is, then that's how it is. Funny how OB had earned a moniker from the guys as the 'swim ninja'. I guess if you're Asian and can swim...

Getting prepped
OB is now driving on a permit and just finished driving school. This pic was taken nine years ago just before we moved to Hawaii. The cool thing is that he's driving the truck now just as I said he would be doing back in 2010. But as you may have seen in a previous post, I don't own this truck anymore. ML's dad does, hence me saying it's still in the family. He bought it from us when I upgraded to my 2017 Tacoma, and although dad owns the 2004 Tacoma now, he was gracious enough to loan the truck to OB indefinitely as he knows it's a good vehicle for OB to begin driving in. When I can, I'll sit in the pax seat while OB gets his driving hours in. ML does it more often than I do as she goes to school with him and takes it onward to the gym after he gets to school. Looking back, OD started driving in this truck also back in 2006. Now as an Airman, she bought and drives a truck of her own these days where she's stationed. I can say both of our kids learned to drive in the '04 security blanket and I'm glad that ML's dad let OB use it.

Aloha! Grateful we had times like this living on Hickam AFB
I needed to take a few days off from work to get recharged. Thankful that I get to stay in pretty much one lane for work tasks these days, but boy - getting stuck in an office all day is a challenge when you've been used to being active and outside for work. During the day when I find myself getting restless, I'll just get out and walk around the campus to other organizations and check in with the other program assistants. Not only to just see if I can offer any help if needed, but simply to get my heartrate up and to take in some fresh air. We're located next to a big lake and a boat load of evergreens everywhere, so I do this more when the weather's nice.

When we were in Hawaii, I was thankful that my boss understood how significant PT was to everyone. Being able to have the 'go' to stand-up paddle or surf during lunch regularly during the week was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I will always be grateful for having. ML and I realize that as we get older, physical fitness is more important than ever. Gotta keep moving to stay healthy!

'Firsts' at Hickam. 'Small kine' usually. ML took this one of me on a rare week day off when I had it all to myself.




Saturday

~