At work on Friday, someone I've known for a couple of years stopped by to talk about a workflow process that I'm allegedly a subject matter expert on. As we were talking I told him I could show him more on the topic on my computer. As I started to pull up a website, he noticed the screen saver displayed on my second monitor. It was a picture I took while eating a take-out lunch one day on one of the picnic tables at Foster Point on Hickam AFB. It was always a great place to go to because it was quiet, never crowded and I could get back to work fast. He saw it and said, 'Is that Hickam Marina?' I said 'Yep!' and the conversation that followed was fun and interesting. I've known this person for this long but never knew he was stationed there the same time I was, and that we worked in adjacent directorates. We also lived on Hickam not far from each other. The 'talk story' session we ended up getting into was great and man, the memories just started to come back on living on the island and that we both considered how fortunate we were to be assigned there.
There are also a few other people where I work now who were stationed at Hickam either before or after my time there, and some even in the same organization I was assigned to. I always look back on that time as a fantastic finish to my long career with the Air Force and will always be grateful for the blessing and opportunity to have lived and worked there! ~