Sunday, May 12, 2024

Island Eats

  Just some random pics of eats on the island. There is a never-ending list of places to eat on Oahu. Even when we lived there, there was no way to make it to every place - from chains to hole-in-the-wall and off the beaten path small-kine mom and pop joints. Still, we had meals at places whenever and wherever we felt and there was never a shortage of places to go.

Bob's Bar-B-Que in Kalihi; Incredibly, we'd never been there before. Drove by so many times when going into Honolulu or just taking a short cut through Kalihi. You could tell the lunchtime work crowd knew about this place. A few folks were doing their pickups to bring back to the office.


Gyotaku. A family favorite. We always end up with a large group here, so reservations are part of the ritual. 


Man... I wish we had a Don Quijote in the PNW. Of course, the availability of fresh fish is the key here. I can't imagine getting otoro and chutoro at these prices on the mainland.



Walking in town, ML and I discovered what apparently has been a long-time staple in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center; Kulu Kulu Japanese Bakery. How did we ever miss this place? The one thing I love about Japanese bread and baked goods is how light and flavorful they are. 



A favorite for me and ML; Side Street Inn! We first ventured to the Ala Moana one when we lived here when one my best friends and his wife - both from my dependent days in Korea, suggested it for a dinner meet up after they got stationed back on the island during our time there. We haven't looked back and whenever we do our one splurge for dining on vacation, end up here. The fried rice and pork chops are so ono and always ordered! 


We've pretty much made Lappert's a ritual when we stay in town. It's a nice walk from wherever we're staying in town and we get to burn off the calories walking back to the hotel. 


Morning walks for PT out to the Waikiki Aquarium ended up here at the Outrigger Reef green mermaid.


Zippy's Katsu at the Nimitz restaurant. I still laugh about our time in Las Vegas back in December when we headed straight to the recently opened one there after picking up our rental car. Parking lot packed and a wait list of 30 minutes to get in. The one here at Nimitz was pretty much empty when ML and I decided to get a quick dinner before heading back to the hotel. Wasn't exceptional, but did the job of filling me up.

Blue Fish - located in the former spot of Cheeseburger on Beachwalk. Had good but pricey eats.



...and the best for last? I can't get enough from Happy's at the Hale Koa. Dinner, lunch or breakfast - reasonable prices and great location next to what I consider the best beach on Waikiki. ~



~

Saturday

~