Sunday, July 28, 2024

Obon

  Last week, ML, OB and I went to the 2024 Seattle Bon Odori Festival. If I could upload the videos of dances and taiko drum events I would, but the size of the files were so large that I couldn't even send them to my e-mail account from my phone to place here. 

Obon is the return of ancestral spirits from the other side and spend time with those who are still on earth Bon Odori is the dancing that accompanies Obon. It is a cherished multi-day event in Japan usually during the summer months, and I remember them during my military dependent days on Okinawa and later when I was stationed there in the Air Force. 

Returning as an Airman First class after being away since high school, I had been back on the island only a couple of months, and was walking back to base after dinner outside of Kadena Air Base's Gate 2. At that time, I also knew that Bon Odori would be taking place outside the gate, so I had my backpack with my camera in it - a versatile Canon AE-1 that went with me everywhere. I happened to see Obon dancers on a side street and was fascinated by what I was seeing. There was a by-standing crowd of Americans and Okinawans planted in place and watching in mesmerization. I recall one of the guys standing next to me saying, 'beautiful, beautiful!' as it was truly magical watching the dancers move in synchronization while the songs were playing. The literal feeling of the airwaves being moved by the taiko drums' rythym added to being immersed in the moment.

A couple of pictures I took;


I've always remembered that particular evening as it marked my return to Okinawa - a place I call my second home having lived there nearly sixteen years of my life.

The Seattle Bon Odori was a good all-day event for us and everyone attending. Great vibe in the air and we even put it out there that we'd attend next year's event. Great community feeling and everyone there seemed to have the same intent to bring a good day for all to welcome home ancestors who are no longer here. 

The fun of this was really in how everyone joins in the different dances and feels part of the festival. During songs, we were standing off to the side and watching and learning the dances as the crowd went by in the streets. A lady who was part of the organizing committee who saw us said we were doing better than some of the people out there. She said 'you should just go out there already!' which was cool to hear. We talked to her for a while and really enjoyed how the organizers would have the dancers provide a 'walk-through' and instruction on what the next dance was going to be. And to see people off the street just joining in... fantastic to watch that brought a smile to our faces. I know the returning sprits were smiling as well.  ~





Saturday

~