Nothing like an old school weapon to bring out the basics. Hearing the plinks of the target at 300 yards was good fun.
I'm not a gun nut, but I do like to shoot when the opportunity comes up.I appreciate the chances over the years to employ weapons in a non-static environment - to use them in tactical scenarios, which I think most people don't take the opportunity to learn. There are many ways to do this safely; blue guns, broom sticks, in the house, on the golf course...it just takes creativity.
Most people only fire a weapon at a range setting and don't move a weapon from safe to ready to shoot in a scenario encountering a threat. I think that's important to know and experience. Whether in close quarters or in the field, to feel and fire a weapon in a tactical scenario gets the mind and muscle memory going. You also get educated on high ground/low ground advantages, slicing-the-pie, and other important things to know to keep yourself in the advantage.
Anyway, that's just me as I show a picture of me in a static setting 😉 with an M1 Garand that belongs to ML's cousin who is a gun nut. Wow - great to fire a weapon that has a legendary reputation. ~