I'm not an outwardly religious person, but I do have my beliefs and have been praying for/about things in general this year. I used to pray often - particularly at the end of the day - when I lived in the midwest of the US, then when I lived in Japan, and when I first moved to the United Kingdom. But shortly after moving to the UK, I somehow got caught up in life and the world and stopped praying. It was a very long hiatus. But now that I've picked up praying again this year after going through a life-awakening episode (doesn't it always take something like that to get one started again?), I've found my prayers being answered and even things happening that make me wonder on the power of prayers. At the end of my work day since I'm usually the last one out the door, I make my rounds as a now desk-bound warrior (coffee makers turned off? chairs pushed in? TV in the conference room off? Supply room locked? All computers on?) and then launch into my thanks and concerns to my god. Because my job involves sending/managing/leading people going into harms way here or abroad, I start out on that line and just go from there. But I am mostly thankful and grateful for everything - even the hard knocks that I come across. And then I'm done. I find myself with a load off of my shoulders - especially after asking for forgiveness daily on not being the perfect person even though I'm striving to be. Most of all, it gives me a sense of peace and a great end to my day (even at the end of hard days) that I've literally voiced my thoughts and concerns to god and the universe. It works. ...for me.
So from me to you; I pray that you and your families may be blessed and have a prosperous new year - that you and they be safe in all doings and wherever travels may take you and them.
Aloha and Hauoli Makahiki Hou!