Saturday, September 19, 2015

A Year Later...

  One year later and I found my Blogger again.

It's been a good year. Shortly after my post last September, I was hired into a position that I least expected to open up - while pursuing another position that I also least expected to open up. For the latter position, the incumbent called me out of the blue and said he'd taken a job in the southwest and wanted me to apply for the one he was leaving as he knew I was back in the area. I was his backup for nearly ten years (as a secondary job to my primary one when we lived here before going to Hawaii), so it was a no-brainer for him to get in touch with me. I submitted my resume' for his job the same time I applied for the other one, and in the end interviewed and accepted an offer for the second (but similar paying) job that is a very convenient commute from our house. Just being realistic; by the time my friend's job called for an interview, I was already in my current position for two months anyway. Good thing I didn't wait.

I phone-interviewed twice for two different jobs with Boeing before leaving Hawaii, but never made it further in the hiring process before we left. If hired, I would've ended up in the Seattle/Renton vicinity and the commute there and back would've been a bear. I did it in the 90s when I worked for the company, but the sacrifice to continue residing in the south Puget Sound and work for great pay and benefits at the time outweighed dealing with a vicious commute. Still, I would've enjoyed working for Boeing in the jobs that I applied for as they were right up my alley, and with me having a great experience working there last time, and being an AV geek - would've been in my element.

But I'm very pleased where I'm at now. It couldn't have worked out better for me to end up where I'm at. The great thing about what I do now is that it's not a 'jack of all trades, master of none' type of position that I held in my field previously. I now work in 'one lane' and can dedicate myself one-hundred percent to making sure the program is managed the way it's supposed to be. The satisfaction I get in helping others is immeasurable. I am very grateful every day.

The new job took me away from blogging, but here I am. Just a quick check in and sharing a pic that I took during an evening run on the way back to the house. It's great to be back in the neighborhood and the Pacific Northwest. (But I do miss a lot of things about Hawaii.)

Saturday

~